Student Visas

5 Considerations When You are an International Student and Have Both an Employer and A Spouse Who Can Petition for You for a Green Card

You may have an employer who agreed to sponsor you for an employment visa, and also have a U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder spouse, who can petition for you. However, you may be uncertain about which option to pursue or if you should do both. This article will help you to strategize if you...
Read More

Choosing the Best Student Visa for You

You wish to study in the U.S. or participate in a specific exchange program in the U.S. However, you are unsure as to which student visa is the appropriate visa for you. This article helps you to plan which visa to apply for by outlining what each visa is best for so you know which...
Read More

3 Considerations in Deciding Whether to Do a Change of Status or Consular Processing to go from an F-1 Visa to J-1 Visa

You may currently be in the U.S. on a F-1 Visa, and have been accepted into a J-1 Visa Exchange Program. You are unsure if you should go back to your home country and apply for the visa from there or stay in the U.S., and do a change of status. This article will help...
Read More
maximize your ability to get a Green Card employer sponsorship

Comparing and Contrasting Your F-1 Student Visa Work Options: OPT v. CPT

You may currently be in the U.S. on a F-1 Visa, and want to work. You have heard of “OPT” and “CPT” but do not know much about these employment authorization options and are not sure what the difference is between them. This article will help you plan for one of these employment authorizations by...
Read More

Green Card Options for Students through Employment and Family Petitions

As a student, you can become eligible for a Green Card and permanent residency in the U.S. through your employment by having your employer sponsor you for an EB-2 or EB-3 visa, or by having a U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder family member (Spouse, Parent, Child) file a family petition for you.  Green Card...
Read More

The Job Search: When and How to Start Looking for a Post-Graduation Job

You must first ask yourself the following questions and depending on your answers, develop a strategy to get a job and work visa after your graduate and your work visa expires. When are you graduating?  What industry do you want to work in? Is it a competitive field?  Can you afford to spend several months...
Read More

Setting Yourself Up for Success Whether You Work On-Campus or Intern Off-Campus in the Summer

Many students work on campus during the semester, while others seek outside campus work experiences or internships. As an international student, you will need to factor in your student visa regulations for internships, staying on campus v. non-campus housing, going home v. staying in the U.S., having an internship that pays v. an unpaid internship,...
Read More

Which type of Student Visa to get?

You have three Student Visa Options: J-1 Visa, F-1 Visa, and M-1 Visa. What student visa you should get depends on the answers to the following questions:  What is the objective of you coming to the US? Study in a program or get training? What type of program? How long? What is the long-term goal...
Read More

What are the J-1 Visa Exchange Program Categories?

A J-1 Visa is suitable for those who wish to study or obtain work related experience or training, under a specific exchange visa category.  Before you can apply for a J-1 Visa, you must first be accepted into an exchange visitor program through a designated sponsoring organization in the U.S. You can learn more at...
Read More

Should you do a change of status or consular processing for a F-1 to J-1 visa?

If you are already in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, you can stay in the U.S. and do a Change of Status application or you can return to your country, or a country that does third-country visa processing, and apply for a visa through the consulate. What option you choose depends on various factors: ...
Read More
1 2