You may be eligible for a B-1 visa if you will be participating in business activities that have a commercial or professional nature in the United State. Such activities include but are not limited to:
- Consulting with business associates
- Traveling for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or a conference on specific dates
- Settling an estate
- Negotiating a contract
- Participating in short-term training
- Transiting through the United States: certain persons may transit the United States with a B-1 visa; and
- Deadheading: certain air crewmen may enter the United States as deadhead crew with a B-1 visa.
Of course there are other activities that may qualify if you can demonstrate that they are of a commercial or professional nature.