Student Visa Lawyer in NYC

You wish to study in the U.S. or participate in a specific exchange program in the U.S. However, you are unsure as to which student visa is the appropriate visa for you. This will help you to plan which visa to apply for by outlining what each visa is best for so you know which one you need to apply for.

  • J-1 Student Visa is best for:
    • Applying to a specific educational exchange program such as the Fulbright Fellowship Program, Foreign Medical Training Program, or as an Au Pair;
    • Students whose financial aid package is over 50% from scholarship/fellowship/tuition waiver;
    • Students who plan on working on or off campus;
    • Those with dependents that may want to work or also study in the U.S.; and
    • Those who understand they may have to return to their home country for two years after the program ends before they return to the U.S. unless they are eligible for a waiver.
  • F-1 Student Visa is best for:
    • Most common student visas for U.S. schools;
    • Applying for a general undergraduate institution;
    • Students funding school themselves or receiving general financial aid (any form is acceptable);
    • Not planning on working off-campus (or willing to get employment authorization); and
    • Language based study programs.
  • M-1 Student Visa is best for
    • Those pursuing non academic or vocational studies;
    • Those with evidence of sufficient funds to cover all tuition and living expenses; and
    • Those focusing on the study (no full-time work permitted).

Ready to get started?

Contact our immigration law firm for a free consultation or with any questions.