Having Your U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder Spouse Petition for You

If your spouse is a US Citizen or Green Card Holder, they can petition for you. There are two ways to petition for you: either through Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing.

Adjustment of Status

When you are in the U.S., you can pursue adjustment of status. If your spouse is a U.S. citizen, they can file the spouse petition and your Green Card application (known as Adjustment of Status) at the same time. If your spouse is a Green Card holder, they will first file the spouse petition and then once it is approved, you can file the Green Card application. 

Consular Processing

If you are outside the U.S., your spouse will first file the spouse petition. Once it is approved, USCIS will send it to the National Visa Center and you will submit a visa application and undergo 

This article is written with the intention of providing you to the point information about the topic. All immigration petitions and visas are very nuanced and there is other supplemental information that may pertain to the visa or topic you wish to learn about. Additionally, depending on the facts of your situation, there is specific information you may need to know. 

Related Posts